Semaglutide is a prescription medication approved by the FDA for weight management.  It works by slowing down the emptying of the stomach and reducing appetite, among other things. This is an exciting development for those who have struggled with weight for years, as semaglutide offers a new, effective treatment option for the obese. But semaglutide isn’t just about weight loss. It can also help improve overall health by reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, improving blood sugar control, and increasing energy levels.  Patients who take semaglutide often report feeling more confident and in control of their health, which can significantly impact their quality of life.
At DermFx, our goal is to provide our patients with the most innovative and effective treatments available. We believe semaglutide injections are a game-changer to help our patients achieve their weight loss goals and feel better, and we’re excited to offer this treatment option. If you’re ready to take control of your weight and improve your health, contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our medical professionals. Call 562-592-5100 for our Sunset Beach location, 949-548-8812 for Newport Beach, 310-316-2100 for Redondo Beach, 714-516-9588 for Orange, or 949-487-5180 for Dana Point.
What more can you learn about the latest trends in cosmetic upgrades? Check out our blog to find out!
More About Semaglutide
Semaglutide is a glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist. A receptor agonist is a drug that binds to a specific receptor in the body and activates it, triggering a biological response. Receptors are proteins found on the surface of cells that act as “gatekeepers,” allowing certain molecules to enter the cell and initiate a specific cellular response. GLP-1 receptor agonists, like semaglutide, binds to and activates GLP-1 receptors in the body. This helps regulate blood sugar levels, decrease appetite, and promote healthy weight loss.
Some of the key responses that are triggered include:
- Increased insulin secretion,  so that glucose from food gets burned for energy instead of stored as fat
- Slowed gastric emptying
- Increased satiety
- Reduces cravings for sweet and fatty foods
- Weight loss
Together, these biological responses contribute to the effectiveness of semaglutide in promoting weight loss and improving blood sugar regulation in individuals with type 2 diabetes or those with obesity.
The Dangers of Obesity
Obesity is a complex disease characterized by excessive body fat accumulation. It can have a wide range of negative health effects. One of the most serious health consequences of obesity is an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes. When a person becomes obese, the body’s ability to use insulin to regulate blood sugar levels becomes impaired.  This means that more insulin is needed to move glucose into the cells, which can eventually lead to high blood sugar levels and the development of type 2 diabetes.
In addition, obesity can lead to insulin resistance, which makes it difficult for the body to use insulin effectively. As a result, blood sugar levels can become elevated, leading to further damage to tissues and organs throughout the body. This can ultimately lead to serious health problems, including nerve damage, kidney disease, and blindness.
Semaglutide also has important anti-inflammatory effects. Chronic inflammation is a key factor in the development of many diseases, including
- Type 2 diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease
- Some cancers 
Lifestyle modifications like diet and exercise are the cornerstone of obesity management, but semaglutide can make a huge difference.
What are the Benefits of Semaglutide Injections?
Semaglutide has been shown to have a range of benefits, including:
- Improved blood sugar control
- Weight loss
- Cardiovascular risk reduction
- Improved quality of life
- Reduced risk of hypoglycemia
- Easy to use
Semaglutide is administered once a week via a subcutaneous injection, making it a convenient option for individuals who may have difficulty adhering to daily medication regimens.
Patients for whom diet and exercise alone have not effectively helped them lose weight may be good candidates for semaglutide. Furthermore, candidates for semaglutide may include:
- Individuals with obesity who have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher or who have a BMI of 27 or higher and also have at least one weight-related health condition, such as type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure.
- Individuals motivated to make lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise.
- Individuals without a history of medullary thyroid cancer or multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2 as the drug may increase the risk of developing thyroid tumors. 
- Individuals who are not pregnant or breastfeeding.
We’ll determine if semaglutide is right for you during your consultation at DermFx.
The consultation process involves a discussion with a knowledgeable DermFx healthcare provider. During the consultation, we will review the patient’s medical history, including any underlying medical conditions, medications, and lifestyle factors, to determine whether semaglutide is a suitable treatment option
We will explain how the medication works, its potential benefits and risks, and any lifestyle changes that will be necessary to optimize the treatment outcomes. Furthermore, we will answer questions so patients understand how semaglutide can help them achieve their weight loss goals. DermFx does charge a $125 consultation fee for Semaglutide.
Once treatment has started, we will monitor the patient’s progress throughout the course of treatment and make any necessary adjustments to the treatment plan. To schedule your appointment, call 562-592-5100 for our Sunset Beach location, 949-548-8812 for Newport Beach, 310-316-2100 for Redondo Beach, 714-516-9588 for Orange, or 949-487-5180 for Dana Point. Patients can also fill out our online form to get started.
After the injection, there is generally no need for recovery, and patients can resume their normal activities immediately. However, patients may experience minor side effects, such as injection site reactions (redness, swelling, or itching) or gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea). These side effects are usually mild and go away within a few days.
It is also important for patients to stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet to reduce the risk of gastrointestinal symptoms. If patients experience any severe or persistent side effects, they should contact DermFx for further evaluation and management.
What are the Results of Semaglutide for Weight Loss?
Semaglutide has been shown to produce significant weight loss results in clinical trials, with patients experiencing both physical and psychological benefits. In a 68-week clinical trial, patients treated with semaglutide experienced an average weight loss of 14.9% from their initial body weight.  This significant weight loss resulted in improvements in
- Waist circumference
- Overall body composition
In addition to the physical changes, patients reported improved mental health and quality of life. The weight loss from semaglutide treatment increases self-confidence, improves mood, and decreases anxiety and depression symptoms. Patients also reported feeling more satisfied with their overall appearance, leading to increased self-esteem and greater personal accomplishment.
What is the Cost of Semaglutide in Orange, CA?
The cost of semaglutide can vary depending on several factors, such as the dosage and duration of treatment. DermFx charges $125 for the consultation + $600 for the first 5 weeks of medication. After 5 weeks the patient will be reassessed and injection costs will vary depending on dosage.
To learn more and schedule your consultation, call 562-592-5100 for our Sunset Beach location, 949-548-8812 for Newport Beach, 310-316-2100 for Redondo Beach, 714-516-9588 for Orange, or 949-487-5180 for Dana Point. Patients can also fill out our online form to get started.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA Approves New Drug Treatment for Chronic Weight Management, First Since 2014. FDA. Published June 4, 2021. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-drug-treatment-chronic-weight-management-first-2014
- Di Folco U, Vallecorsa N, Nardone MR, Pantano AL, Tubili C. Effects of semaglutide on cardiovascular risk factors and eating behaviors in type 2 diabetes. Acta Diabetologica. 2022;59(10):1287-1294. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00592-022-01936-6
- Kapitza C, Dahl K, Jacobsen JB, Axelsen MB, Flint A. Effects of semaglutide on beta cell function and glycaemic control in participants with type 2 diabetes: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Diabetologia. 2017;60(8):1390-1399. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-017-4289-0
- Kahn BB, Flier JS. Obesity and insulin resistance. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2000;106(4):473-481. https://doi.org/10.1172/jci10842
- National Cancer Institute. Risk Factors: Chronic Inflammation. National Cancer Institute. Published April 29, 2015. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/chronic-inflammation
- National Library of Medicine. Semaglutide Injection: MedlinePlus Drug Information. medlineplus.gov. Published August 15, 2022. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a618008.html
- Rubino D, Abrahamsson N, Davies M, et al. Effect of Continued Weekly Subcutaneous Semaglutide vs Placebo on Weight Loss Maintenance in Adults With Overweight or Obesity: The STEP 4 Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2021;325(14):1414–1425. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.3224