- 1 What Is CoolSculpting?
- 2 How Does CoolSculpting Work?
- 3 Before and After Photos
- 4 Benefits of CoolSculpting
- 5 Candidates
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Preparation
- 8 Procedure
- 9 Recovery
- 10 Results
- 11 Complementary Procedures
- 12 FAQ
- 12.1 What is CoolSculpting?
- 12.2 What happens to the fat cells once they’ve gone through the CoolSculpting process?
- 12.3 Will my insurance cover CoolSculpting?
- 12.4 What areas of the body can CoolSculpting treat?
- 12.5 How many sessions of CoolSculpting do I need?
- 12.6 When will I see the results of CoolSculpting?
- 12.7 Does CoolSculpting hurt?
- 12.8 Is CoolSculpting safe?
- 12.9 What are the side effects of CoolSculpting?
- 12.10 What does the CoolSculpting process feel like?
- 12.11 Are CoolSculpting results permanent?
- 13 References
What Is CoolSculpting?
CoolSculpting is the revolutionary patented fat reduction technology that utilizes intense cold temperatures to target stubborn fatty areas, ‘freezing’ the underlying fat cells and destroying them in the process without damaging the skin’s outer layer.
A precise temperature level is calculated between 12.2 to +41F to keep fat cells below body temperature but above freezing to avoid any potential complications. The fatty tissue then goes through cell death, followed by some inflammation that fades over time, creating an effective reduction of problem areas.
This procedure is excellent for people who are not amenable to surgery or want to avoid downtime. Many studies have confirmed that CoolSculpting is a safe and effective non-invasive procedure for reducing localized subcutaneous fat and has high patient satisfaction.
The FDA has approved the technology, so you know it is a legitimate procedure with real benefits backed up by science. This procedure is perfect for people looking to enhance their figure who just can’t seem to reach their target goal through diet and exercise alone and without the need for invasive surgery.
Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of CoolSculpting, then call (562) 592-5100, or book online to schedule your DermFx consultation right now. We’re conveniently located to serve the areas of Sunset Beach, Newport Beach, Redondo Beach, Orange, and Dana Point.
Be sure to follow Derm Fx on social media and join our legion of over 12,000 beauty-oriented individuals. You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube. We are always posting our latest promotions, events, news, and more.
We look forward to seeing you.
How Does CoolSculpting Work?
CoolSculpting is based on the science of the body’s cellular responses to cold, called cryolipolysis. The procedure takes energy from the layers of fat, destroying the cells while leaving the surrounding muscles, nerves, and other unaffected areas. After a couple of months, the digested fat cells are then filtered through the lymphatic system. Studies have shown that cryolipolysis has not produced any significant adverse side effects, and any noted effects have been minor and temporary.
Before and After Photos
Benefits of CoolSculpting
- Clinically proven results
- Requires no anesthesia, needles, or incisions
- No downtime and quick recovery
- Quick, easy, and painless
- Noticeable results in weeks
- Can treat multiple areas of the body like the stomach, thighs, flanks, upper arms, and chin
CoolSculpting is not a solution for weight loss.
The ideal candidate for CoolSculpting is somebody looking to reduce problematic fatty areas. Candidates should be at or near a healthy weight.
CoolSculpting is not the treatment for you if you are mainly concerned with loose skin. Candidates should not consider CoolSculpting if they have a history of Raynaud’s disease or have severe sensitivity to cold temperatures.
If you think you would benefit from CoolSculpting, please schedule a consultation with us at DermFx right now, or call us at (562) 592-5100, and one of our friendly staff members will guide you through the process.
CoolSculpting requires little preparation. Just be sure to be healthy and at your ideal weight. Avoid any anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin to prevent bruising. Patients should also avoid smoking during the week leading up to their procedure.
Your trained specialist will use a handheld device with applicators similar to vacuum nozzles.
First, your specialist will apply a special gel pad and applicator to your problem area. This applicator sends cool temperatures to the areas to be treated. Your specialist will then move the device over your skin while directing suction and cooling to the targeted areas.
Pain is minimal, with some patients reporting mild pulling or pinching feelings.
Your specialist will massage your treated areas after your procedure to break up any lingering frozen deep tissue. Your body will then absorb the destroyed fat cells. CoolSculpting can take up to one to three hours. Reported complications are uncommon and appear to resolve without intervention.
The CoolSculpting process requires little to no recovery or downtime. Many can resume routine activities almost immediately following their procedure. There may be some mild redness and soreness, but that typically goes away within a few weeks.
CoolSculpting can reduce fatty areas by 25%, with results remaining six months after your procedure. Patients can see full results within three months after their procedure.
If you have an extensive and stubborn area of fat, you will most likely need to arrange multiple CoolSculpting appointments.
CoolSculpting does not prevent new fat from forming, so it is recommended that you maintain a healthy lifestyle following your treatment.
CoolTone is CoolSculpting’s sister treatment. CoolTone provides non-invasive body sculpting with magnetic muscle stimulation. After you freeze away that belly fat with CoolSculpting, consider firming up those abs with CoolTone to complete your look! CoolTone is ideal for contouring the buttocks, abs and thighs.
Emsculpt is a patented fat burning, and muscle toning, and building device that uses high-intensity focused electromagnetic energy to shape the body. You’ll look and feel like you spent hours at the gym in a single 30-minute session.
This unique energy device provides an additional means for body contouring with a primary application for lower and medium BMI patients.
Botox is a classic injectable neuromodulator that blocks the release of the chemical responsible for contracting our facial muscles, smoothing out lines, and creating a more vibrant, youthful appearance.
Dermal fillers are injectable gels that essentially ‘fill’ in fine lines and wrinkles to provide a smoother, younger-looking face with added volume. Fillers can be combined with Botox for great results.
Hydrafacials rejuvenate the face by removing dead skin cells and extracting impurities while simultaneously bathing the new skin with cleansing, hydrating and moisturizing serums. This treatment is soothing, refreshing, non-irritating, and immediately effective.
Chemical peels are processes that remove the skin’s outer layers through a chemical solution that encourages a controlled injury to the facial skin. The healing process regenerates new skin, with the dead skin tissue eventually peeling off. The new skin becomes smoother and less wrinkled as a result.
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a permanent method of removing hair from the body. The process utilizes intense laser light pulses to heat up the hair bulb and follicles, significantly hindering the hair’s ability to re-grow
Enjoyed learning about CoolSculpting? Check out the Derm Fx blog, where you’ll find helpful articles, tips, and updates on procedures.
What is CoolSculpting?
CoolSculpting is a patented fat reduction technology that utilizes intense cold temperatures to target stubborn fatty areas, ‘freezing’ the underlying fat cells and destroying them in the process.
What happens to the fat cells once they’ve gone through the CoolSculpting process?
When the fat cells die, they go through a process called apoptosis. Once they die, they collapse and get processed by the liver to be sent out as waste.
Will my insurance cover CoolSculpting?
No, because CoolSculpting is a cosmetic treatment, which is something insurance does not cover.
What areas of the body can CoolSculpting treat?
– Upper and lower abdomen
– Inner and outer thighs
– Love handles (flanks)
– Banana rolls (underneath the buttocks)
How many sessions of CoolSculpting do I need?
Each treatment is tailored to the patient. Some may only need a single session; others may require repeat sessions. Some may even get multiple areas treated at the same time.
When will I see the results of CoolSculpting?
The results of CoolSculpting are typically seen within three months after treatment.
Does CoolSculpting hurt?
No, CoolSculpting does not hurt. Patients experience minimal discomfort during their CoolSculpting sessions.
Is CoolSculpting safe?
Yes, the FDA approved CoolSculpting in 2010.
What are the side effects of CoolSculpting?
Side effects are minor and can include:
– Intense cold sensations
– Skin sensitivity
What does the CoolSculpting process feel like?
Patients may feel the side effects listed above, but those sensations fade as the treated areas get numb.
Are CoolSculpting results permanent?
Yes, CoolSculpting permanently eliminates body fat, but it doesn’t prevent new fat cells from forming. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle will be necessary following your treatment.
- Julius Few, MD, Renato Saltz, MD, Mark Beaty, MD, Michael Kelly, MD, Kiya Movassaghi, MD, DMD, Keith A Marcus, MD, David Sieber, MD, A Jay Burns, MD, Sara Sangha, PhD, Cryolipolysis: Clinical Best Practices and Other Nonclinical Considerations, Aesthetic Surgery Journal Open Forum, Volume 2, Issue 2, June 2020, ojaa010, https://doi.org/10.1093/asjof/ojaa010
- W. Grant Stevens, MD, FACS, Laura K. Pietrzak, MSHS, PA-C, Michelle A. Spring, MD, Broad Overview of a Clinical and Commercial Experience With CoolSculpting, Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 33, Issue 6, August 2013, Pages 835–846, https://doi.org/10.1177/1090820X13494757
- Avram, M.M. and Harry, R.S. (2009), Cryolipolysis™ for subcutaneous fat layer reduction. Lasers Surg. Med., 41: 703-708. https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.20864
- Chase D. Derrick, MD, Sachin M. Shridharani, MD, Justin M. Broyles, MD, The Safety and Efficacy of Cryolipolysis: A Systematic Review of Available Literature, Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Volume 35, Issue 7, September/October 2015, Pages 830–836, https://doi.org/10.1093/asj/sjv039
- Jacob, CI, Paskova, K. Safety and efficacy of a novel high‐intensity focused electromagnetic technology device for noninvasive abdominal body shaping. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018; 17: 783– 787. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocd.12779