Restylane Defyne is a dermal filler which corrects moderate to severe nasolabial folds and marionette lines. Nasolabial folds run from the edge of the nose to the corners of the mouth; and marionette lines run from corners of the mouth to the edge of the chin.
In addition, Restylane Defyne can also correct chin retrusion, where the chin has become less defined over time. Restylane Defyne utilizes the novel molecular cross-linking XpresHAn technology. XpresHAn technology allows the face to maintain natural movement within facial expression.
Before and After Photos
Aging causes skin to lose elasticity. This loss in elasticity results in skin that is no longer taut, hydrated, and supple. Instead, with less elasticity, humans eventually develop fine lines, folds, and wrinkles. This process is inescapable–we all inevitably experience the effects of aging. Yet a solution does exist that helps to restore a fuller, rejuvenated facial contour. Restylane Defyne can treat facial folds and wrinkles, as well as chin retrusion. You can enjoy firmer, fuller, more elastic skin with this safe, effective solution.
DermFx has helped many patients to improve both their appearance and self-confidence via effective cosmetic and reconstructive procedures. Restylane Defyne offers a fresher visage with fewer wrinkles and fine lines. If you are interested in learning how Defyne can redefine your looks for more ageless contours, contact us today at our Sunset Beach office or one of our other four locations, at (562) 592-5100, or via our online inquiry form.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal fillers are among the most popular soft-tissue fillers due to their ease of use, low complications, and reversibility. (1) They also carry great appeal as an anti-aging treatment because of their near immediate results and minimal recovery time. (2) Restylane Defyne uses a specially formulated hyaluronic acid to smooth mild to severe wrinkles in the lower face and treat chin retrusion. The solution also includes lidocaine, a local anesthetic that numbs the treatment site. (3) Lidocaine helps to increase comfort and reduce pain during the procedure. (3)
Hyaluronic acid (HA) occurs naturally in the human body. It is a humectant which attracts water to add moisture to and volumize the skin. (4) It also provides structural support for the surrounding skin tissues, helping to create a fuller, well-hydrated appearance. (4) However, over time and with age, the human body produces less hyaluronic acid, leading to wrinkles. Restylane Defyne utilizes a specially formulated synthetic hyaluronic acid that mimics the naturally occurring hyaluronic acid in the human body. Defyne helps to restore moisture to your skin for a fresher, smoother, dewy appearance.
Defyne is a next generational HA dermal filler introduced in 2016 by Galderma, the dermatology company which creates Restylane products. (1) Defyne contains high lifting capacity for nasolabial folds, laugh lines (marionette lines), cheeks, and the chin. Defyne is formulated using the novel XpresHAn cross-linking technology.
What is XpreHAn Technology?
XpresHAn is a unique cross-linking technology used in the formulation of Restylane Defyne. XpreHAn technology enables hyaluronic acid (HA) chains to maintain more flexibility in the skin before breaking. (1) This agile behavior allows HA chains to more easily cross link with skin cells to flex within them, allowing for more natural-looking facial movement and expression. (1)
Restylane Defyne vs. Restylane Refyne
Both Restylane Defyne and Refyne are next-generation formulations for HA dermal fillers. (1) Introduced in 2016, they are both anti-aging treatments that utilize the patented XpresHAn technology, which enables dynamic expression. (1) Where the two gels differ, however, is in the density of the technology, which impacts the malleability of each gel. Refyne is more malleable, and Defyne is more dense. As a result, Defyne’s high-density formulation can effectively fill deep creases and folds, and add volume to the lower face. The malleability of Refyne better lends itself to treating mild age lines and providing moderate lift to the face.
Restylane Defyne carries many benefits for patients including:
- No downtime
- Long-term results
- Minimally invasive
- Non-surgical procedure
- Safe, effective treatment
- Preserves facial expression
- Uses lidocaine to increase comfort
- Enhanced appearance in less than one hour
- Correction of deep wrinkles, folds, and other advanced signs of aging
- A non-invasive procedure that allows you to achieve ageless facial contours without surgery, scars, and incisions
Before receiving Restylane injections, your doctor will discuss your medical history including past and current medications, medical conditions, and allergies. This information will help determine if you are a good candidate for Restylane Defyne. You may be a good candidate for Defyne if:
- You have moderate to severe nasolabial folds
- You have laugh lines
- You are experiencing chin retrusion
- You seek to minimize deep wrinkles and add volume to the face
- You have realistic expectations about what the procedure can accomplish
You may not be a good candidate for Defyne if:
- You are allergic to lidocaine
- You have glabellar necrosis
- You carry an allergy or hypersensitivity toward the hyaluronic acid (HA) filler
Dr. Todd Miller is a highly-skilled, Board-certified plastic surgeon who aims to match each patient’s concerns with an effective procedure that meets their expectations. He has helped numerous patients to fill in deep wrinkles and creases on the face for a smoother, more ageless visage. In your consultation, we will discuss current challenges you face with the effects of aging, and if Restylane Defyne may be able to help you correct folds and creases in the lower facial region. If you are ready to learn if Restylane can help you accomplish a fuller facial profile with fewer wrinkles, set up a one-on-one consultation today at our Sunset Beach office, at (562) 592-5100, or through our online inquiry form. In the meantime, please feel free to peruse our blog, where we share information about our work and how it is helping to change lives for the better.
Proper preparation will ensure that you experience the best results possible from Restylane Defyne injections. To effectively prepare, you should:
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Avoid topical skin treatments like retinol and glycolic acid.
- Discuss your medical history and allergies with your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you are on immunosuppressive therapy.
- Avoid alcohol three days before treatment to prevent excess swelling.
- Avoid foods high in sodium. Sodium causes water retention which can worsen swelling.
- Avoid waxing, tweezing, hair removal two days before treatment to minimize skin irritation.
- Begin taking arnica montana before treatment to reduce swelling. Continue after the procedure as recommended.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of cold sores. Treatment carries the risk of causing an outbreak. So you may need to be prescribed medication to prevent one.
- Avoid blood-thinning medications, supplements and vitamins one week before treatment to prevent excessive bruising–including Advil, Aleve, aspirin, Nuprin, Bufferin, ibuprofen, fish oil, ginkgo, St. John’s Wort, ginseng, and garlic.
- On the day of your appointment arrive well-rested, well-nourished, and hydrated.
The injection of Restylane will take no more than 15 to 30 minutes. First, your doctor will inject Defyne into the skin using a small needle. Treated areas may include marionette lines, nasolabial folds, cheeks, or the chin. Defyne will contain a mixture of hyaluronic acid and lidocaine to minimize discomfort. Once Defyne is injected, your surgeon will massage the underlying filler to help it bind to adjacent tissues. Your surgeon may recommend arnica montana to reduce post procedural swelling.
Patients can return to work, home, or daily activities after treatment is complete. Downtime is minimal. The first 24 hours after treatment, we recommend avoiding sunlight and strenuous exercise. Some patients may experience minor bruising and swelling in the areas of treatment, with side effects fading after a few days.
You may note an immediate increase in facial volume. Otherwise, full results will become visible after about one week. This will include smoother, softer laugh lines and/or improved projection of the chin. Results last up to 12 months, with follow-up treatment sessions recommended for maintenance.
The cost of Restylane Defyne will vary among patients. Cost will be dependent on factors including geographic location, experience of the injector, the number of syringes required for the procedure, and the areas treated. Because the procedure is cosmetic, it likely won’t be covered by insurance. We will be glad to discuss financing options in a personal consultation.
- Rohrich, R.J., Bartlett, E.L., & Dayan, E. Practical Approach and Safety of Hyaluronic Acid Fillers. (2019). Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. 7(6): e2172, Practical Approach and Safety of Hyaluronic Acid Fillers – PMC (nih.gov).
- Walker, K., Basehore, B.M., Goyal, A., et al. Hyaluronic Acid. [Updated 2022 Aug 25]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482440/.
- Smith, L., & Cockerham, K. Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers: can adjunctive lidocaine improve patient satisfaction without decreasing efficacy or duration? (2011). Patient Preference and Adherence. 5:133-9, Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers: can adjunctive lidocaine improve patient satisfaction without decreasing efficacy or duration? – PMC (nih.gov).